For instance, in the phrase 「我善养吾浩然之气」

I notice both 我 and 吾 are used. Is there a reason for this?

要看具体的历史时期。先秦时候真正常用的代词很丰富(后来的人用吾/余/予等都是仿古),似乎有说法是吾和我同时用的时候格是不同的。比如此处,我为主语(主格)吾为定语(所有格),一般来说吾做主语,我做宾语;但也有说法是,吾和我中我字的发音更重,因而处于强调地位的第一人称用我字,这也是我一般做宾语的原因。此后,这些人称代词用得就比较随意了,有的时候仅仅是作者习惯,或者避免一句话有重复才换用代词的吧。|・ω・`) – Toosky Hierot Nov 24 '18 at 1:00

The first thing to point out is that「吾」(Baxter-Sagart: /*ŋˤa/) and「我」(Baxter-Sagart: /*ŋˤajʔ/) are cognate. They mean exactly the same thing, and were interchangeable to a very large degree; as the comment pointed out, the use of one over the other is due to either personal preference, emulation of ancient texts, or to avoid repetition.

Specifically in the pre-Qin era, there was some difference in their usage that eventually disappeared by Middle Chinese.「吾」could not be used in the pre-Qin era as an object after a verb. Quote from Zhuangzi:

《莊子・齊物論》子綦曰:「偃,不亦善乎而問之也!今者吾喪我,汝知之乎?」

子綦 said: "偃, it is very good that you asked this question! I had just lost myself now, but how should you know the answer?"

「吾喪我」could not be written as「我喪吾」in this era.

• Just to inquire on 「不亦善乎而問之也」: what is 而 used here as? Is it an equivalent to 你? – Andrew Wang Nov 24 '18 at 16:34
  • @AndrewWang 而 is a conjunction, more commonly translated as and, and in my translation should be seen as the word that. It is the same kind of and as I was thirsty and drank water; the second clause not only comes after the first in temporal sequence, but also may be a consequence of the first clause. – droooze Nov 24 '18 at 22:34

for classical chinese, most "吾" means "i", occasionally, it means "my", or "mine".

"我" means "i", "me" or "my"; depends on the verse.

here're some usages from analects (論語):

論語 學而

曾子曰.吾日三省吾身

the first 吾 means "i", the second 吾 means "my"

daily (日), i (吾) reflect upon (省) my (吾)-self (身) three times (三)

論語 述而

冉有曰.夫子為衛君乎.子貢曰.諾.吾將問之

this 吾 means "i"

ok (諾), i (吾) will (將) ask (問) about it (之)

論語 先進

季氏富於周公.而求也為之聚斂而附益之.子曰.非吾徒也

吾 means "my", or "mine", depends on the english style.

the Master (子) said (曰): "[he's] not (非) my (吾) disciple (徒)

or,

the Master (子) said (曰): "[he's] not (非) [a] disciple (徒) of mine (吾)

論語 述而

子曰.我非生而知之者

"我" means "i"

the Master (子) said (曰), "i (我) [am] not (非) one (者) who was born (生) in the possession of knowledge (而知之)

論語 先進

子曰.從我於陳.蔡者.皆不及門也

"我" means "me"

the Master (子) said (曰): "Of those (者) who were with (從) me (我) in (於) Chen (陳) and Cai (蔡)

論語 述而

子曰.三人行.必有我師焉

"我" means "my"

the Master (子) said (曰): "When I walk along with two others (三人行), they may serve me as my (我) teachers (師)

so, back to your question "what is the difference between 吾 and 我 in 文言文?"

i would say, they're interchangeable.

about "我善養吾浩然之氣"; well, no idea about using both "我" & "吾" in the same verse.

have fun :)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.