I’m a newbie here. I hear some people say 因为 as “yinwei”, but also some say it sound like “yinvei”. I’m not sure why there is a difference in pronunciation. Hope the question is the new one. If it’s already answered, please link to the old one below. Thank you!

You should notice that there's a thing called accent, which doesn't only occurs in foreigners. – 炸鱼薯条德里克 Nov 24 '18 at 5:00
  • To be clear, no /v/ exists in the pronunciation in Putonghua. However this is acceptable. – xbh Nov 24 '18 at 17:14

/v/ is not an initial found in MSM.

The initial /v/, though, is often found in Northern Mandarin and its branches. In fact, it can still be found, even, in distant branches like Sichuanese.

If you ever saw the 马蜂窝 commercial that aired, ever single night, during the World Cup, you'd certainly notice that 唐僧's "为" is very /v/'d.

You can also refer to the paper The geographic distribution rules and reasons of zero initial “w” pronounced as “v” in Mandarin by Wang Fan. The abstract for the paper goes into some detail in English:

Abstract:

It is universal to pronounce zero initial “w” as “v” in Mandarin. Researches show that 38% of the people with northern dialect do so with 10% in other dialect districts. When analyzing its features and reasons, we find that the dental fricative sound “v” is indeed a variant of the semi-vowel “w”. Its coming into being is affected by the variation of the mouth in different phonemes. It is also related to individual pronunciation habits and the instability of the pronunciation. The universal “v” pronunciation in northern dialect district is caused by the stronger movement of the mouth and the face in pronouncing than that in other dialect districts.

The 为 in 因为 should be pronounced wei if you're going for "standard" Mandarin. But, if you want to make yourself sound more Northernized you can also opt for the v.

• The characters 维 and 为 both reads wei in Mandarin, but 维 reads as vei in our Xi'an dialect. – 賈可 Jacky Dec 6 '18 at 10:46

因为 is always pronounced as /Yīn wèi/

/yin vei/ sounds like a foreigner's mispronunciation of the words

there is no /vei/ sound in Mandarin pinyin (I searched all 4 tones)

It really doesn't sound like a "foreigner's mispronunciation"--it sounds like a Northerner's mispronunciation! I've had professors at 复旦 who talk this way (who I presume were from the north). – Stumpy Joe Pete Nov 28 '18 at 22:09

according to Mandarin, yinwei, but you may pronounce as yinvei, it is just another variant of pronounciation of the word.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.