There's this sentence in The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin:

“你看看,刚才你主动提这事儿,现在又说自己可能杀她,咱就是随便聊聊,你急着抖落这些干吗?一看就是个嫩主。”

Joel Martinsen translated the sentence like this:

“Look at you, bringing up the issue on your own. Saying you may have killed her, even. We’re just having a casual chat. What’s your hurry? You’re new at this, that much is clear.”

That gives the impression that 嫩主 means something like: greenhorn/novice/newbie/rookie.

Most of the results online for "个嫩主" only bring up the same quote from The Dark Forest, but there are a few others:

• 新来的主儿太嫩,总要TMD给这些个嫩主儿找点个杈儿。

• 一看212楼就是个嫩主,你还生活在鼓里,别看一下CCAV就乱下评论,

• 也不能说他那天都是装的,只是聊着聊着他就发现Helen绝不是个嫩主儿,表现的不卑不亢

It doesn't seem that greenhorn/novice/newbie/rookie can necessarily be directly substituted for 嫩主 here, though.

Any ideas?

• I think your impression is correct. – xbh Nov 29 '18 at 8:55
  • Maybe some other alternatives: naïve, inexperienced, innocent… – xbh Nov 29 '18 at 8:57
  • newbie. Why do you not find a English edition as a reference. Indeed English version is not good enough as the first season. – Zhang Nov 29 '18 at 9:46
  • I just realize, my last comment maybe made misunderstanding. It means "newbie"... – Zhang Dec 3 '18 at 0:24

Your impression is correct, it can also be expressed as

生瓜蛋子

生手

新手

I will keep adding when I recall more of those.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.