I am making a website for a friend. He has a (very) low quality logo for me to use. I want to remake the logo but it contains kanji. I do not know how to read kanji so I do not know how to remake these characters other than doing so by hand....


What are the kanji characters in this image, how do I type them (or can you just type them for me and I copy/paste?) and what do they mean?

Thank you !!

  • In addition, "Wun Hop Kuen Do" is Cantonese, 混合拳道; and "kajukenbo" is Japanese, カジュ拳法 (Karate & Judo mixed kenpou).
    – Stan
    Commented Jun 1, 2013 at 17:37
  • If anything, it's 'hanzi', not 'kanji'. Commented Jun 6, 2013 at 23:24
  • @deutschZuid: you may know, 'kanji' is a Japanese pronunciation.
    – Stan
    Commented Jun 12, 2013 at 7:48
  • @Stan Not exactly. Kanji were originally Chinese characters borrowed into Japanese, but were later mutated to adapt to their own writing style. New characters were invented in the process as well. So drawing equivalence between the Hanzi and Kanji is not recommended. (By the way, I was commenting on the OP's use of the word, not your comment, hence the lack of @). Commented Jun 12, 2013 at 10:50
  • 1
    @deutschZuid: if the "own writing style" and "new characters invented" are considered as criteria of equivalence, the traditional and simplified Chinese characters can be considered as two different kinds of hanzi too (Taiwan and Hong Kong people do invent some character that are never used in mainland China. And even for some not simplified characters, strokes are not exactly the same). In similarity, kanji is in general quite similar to hanzi, and Chinese people are able to recognize most of them. So I think it's OK to say kanji and that wouldn't be ambiguous.
    – Stan
    Commented Jun 12, 2013 at 12:09

2 Answers 2


The answer is 功夫. You might want to try figuring out further characters using handwriting input as on e.g. http://nciku.com

  • +1 useful link. If there's such a tool for seal scripts, it will be convenient for archaeologists.
    – Stan
    Commented Jun 1, 2013 at 17:20

For others looking for tools to identify Chinese characters, you can look them up in a dictionary using radical + brushstroke count.

Here is an example of a dictionary that uses radicals: http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/sinograms.html?r

I'm not sure if there is a systematic method to identify which part of the character is the radical, but if you divide the character into separated "parts" it's usually the left-most or top-most part.

  • Yes this is the standard way that Chinese language users look up a character that they don't know how to pronounce. Unfortunately there is no standard way to figure out which is the radical. Most of the time you have to learn to recognise the radicals, or try the one with the least number of strokes. Commented Jun 13, 2013 at 0:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.