I was looking at this sentence 我把雪糖放在这杯咖啡里 and was wondering if it would be grammatically sound to say 我放在这杯咖啡雪糖 to mean the same thing.

我放在这杯咖啡雪糖 is wrong. In this case, you have to use 把...structure just like your first example.
    – dan
    Dec 17 '18 at 4:44

The first sentence "我把雪糖放在这杯咖啡里" is grammatically correct

[我 - subject (I)]

[把 - disposal marker that dispose the following object ]

[砂糖 - object (sugar)]

[放 - verb (put)]

[在( ~ )里 - preposition (into)]

[在(这杯咖啡)里 - relative phrase indicates location (into this cup of coffee)]

The second sentence "我放在这杯咖啡(砂糖)" is grammatically incorrect.

It should be: [我放 + (object)+ 在这杯咖啡里] = "我放(砂糖)在这杯咖啡里"

'砂糖'(object) is wrongly placed after the (relative phrase that indicate location) '这杯咖啡里'. That created a '[这杯咖啡 (n)]+[砂糖 (n)] situation'

it also missed the '里' in the preposition '在 ~ 里'

to put the object '砂糖' after '这杯咖啡' , you cannot use the disposal marker '把'

The correct form is "我在这杯咖啡里放入砂糖"

我(subject)

在( ~ )里(preposition)

在(这杯咖啡)里 (relative phrase- indicate location)

放入 (verb)

砂糖 (object)

• 3rd line: "depositive"? users suggest "dispositive", "dispose"
    – user6065
    Dec 17 '18 at 21:37
  • The usual term in English is "disposal marker"
    – Michaelyus
    Dec 18 '18 at 11:21
  • This is from resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/… ... How would you say this without the 把 construction? You might try this: 放 书 在 桌子 上 。 Fàng shū zài zhuōzi shàng. The problem is that the above Chinese sentence is not grammatical. You can't put an object right after a verb, and then put other modifiers of the verb after the object. Here are other examples of how to successfully use 把 and 放 in the same sentence. So I am guessing "我放(砂糖)在这杯咖啡里" is incorrect. Dec 20 '18 at 9:16
  • 我(I) 放(put) 砂糖(sugar) 在(into) 这杯咖啡里(this cup of coffee) is [(subject)+(verb)+(objective) + (relative phrase)] I don't see anything wrong with that
    – Tang Ho
    Dec 20 '18 at 12:19
  • "I put vegetable into the pot " literally mean "我放蔬菜入锅中" ; on the other hand "我把蔬菜放入锅中 literally mean "I take the vegetable and put it into the pot" using 把 emphasize what I am doing with the vegetable; while "我放蔬菜入锅中" emphasize what I put into the pot. >"我在这杯咖啡里把砂糖放入" sounds like "I am in the cup of coffee"
    – Tang Ho
    Dec 20 '18 at 12:28

fronting object (雪?)糖 (食糖)is possible: 我食糖放在这杯咖啡里, grammar topic: prepositions(介词), 在,e.g. "图解基础汉语语法"介词(1):、到、给(一)在"在"主要引出时间和地点1。在动词前 格式 在+时间+做什么 在+哪儿+做什么 Attention "在+时间+做什么"格式中"在"常省略 玛丽是在到了北京以后才开始学汉语的。 玛丽在图书馆看书。2。在动词后 格式 动词+在+时间 动词+在+地方 玛丽出生在冬天 杯子放在桌子上Attention 只有部分动词可以用在"动词+在+时间"格式中,双音节动词主要有"出生、发生、出现"等,单音节动词主要有"定、改、排、放"等。More examples for 在动词后 "现代汉语虚词词典"(w/o 把)大衣搭在臂上,手里提着书包,孩子留在[了]姥姥家了,钉在墙上,挂在树上、两手按在桌子上,永远的惭愧和感谢留在我心里(朱自清),有些爱花的人,大都只是将花栽在盆里,一盆盆搁在架上;架子横放在院子里(朱自清)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.