Anyone know the difference between these two verbs? Both seem to mean 'to care for'. Google image search seems to show more Mother/children/illness care for 照顾, but 安慰 also seems to be largely person based (as opposed to caring for a sofa by not leaving dirty plates on it!).

安慰 (anwei) is used for mental care, similar in meaning to "comfort/consolation". 照顾 (zhaogu) is used for daily care, like that of parents towards kids, nanny towards a baby, nurse towards patients, etc.

Typical use: 他生气了,我安慰他。(He's upset, so I comfort him.) 他生病了,我照顾他。(He's sick, so I took care of him.)

• Thanks guys - that's really clear now :-) – Hashamyim Dec 19 '18 at 14:18
    安慰傷心的人(comfort sad people);安撫生氣的人 (appease angry people) – Tang Ho Dec 19 '18 at 17:24
  • Agree with the comments on this page, 安慰 is not mentally care, which in English sounds like a job given to caregivers in a psychiatric hospital. The rest of the answer is good. – droooze Dec 20 '18 at 1:14
  • As everyone said - 安慰 is simply to comfort, even a hug and a few nice words, but 照顾 is actual caring for, providing with things and help. – Vitaly Osipov Dec 21 '18 at 1:34

• 安慰 = comfort

• 照顾 = to look after

Here’s ABC’s definition and sample sentence for 安慰

comfort; console

安慰她几句。
Ānwèi ²tā jǐ jù.
Say a few words to comfort her.

Here’s ABC’s definition of 照顾:

1 look after; care for; attend to

2 consider; take into account

特殊情况可以照顾。
Tèshū qíngkuàng kẹ̌yǐ zhàogu.
We'll give consideration to special cases.

3 TRAD.
patronize (as a customer)

安慰 "make somebody 'not sad'"

照顾 "take care of somebody"

The difference is quite literal in a sense.

(I'm Chinese, but not a grammar expert...)

We usually use chatting to 安慰,such as some fell sad and we should speak something to him to make him happy, this action like 安慰。

He's upset, so I comfort him.) 他生病了,我照顾他。(He's sick, so I took care of him.)[![

> [

enter image description here

]1

]1]1

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.