I was looking for the equal word of "to give someone space" in Chinese and found this :

给我一点空间

I'm not sure if 空间 is the correct word though. 空间 means "space" but I think it refers to a visible one.

While the "space" that I mean here is like giving someone some me-time, giving them time to be just alone, or letting them do whatever they like without us being too clingy.

Now, can I still use 空间 to refer to that kind of space?

Yes, you can. And I think this usage of 空间 origins from English in Hongkong. – Lau Dec 22 '18 at 7:31
    submit "space" to iciba, find example sentences for 12 types of space, esp. (4)N-UNCOUNT (思考问题、个人成长所需的)时间,余地,空间 with 2 example sentences, submitting "时间,余地,空间" to bkrs will yield more examples, also consider submitting "elbow room" to iciba, get 3 sample sentences including "political elbow room" 政治空间 – user6065 Dec 22 '18 at 7:36
    For me, it’s more natural to say 別打擾[他] don’t disturb [him/her]. – droooze Dec 22 '18 at 23:28

Sure, the expression you had is correct and indeed used in daily life. There are however, some alternatives which you could use

请给我一点自由空间

请给他一些自由

给我一些自己的时间

In chinese, 空间 also have the meaning of freedom, or letting someone do whatever they like. It does not only mean the visible space.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.