How do I say “I looked for it until I found it“ or “I looked for (something) until I found it” what is the word that i use for “until”?

• 我一直找,找到为止。BTW, isn't this something google can help with? Dec 25, 2018 at 0:33
    Google: until --> 直到 or 直至
    – Tang Ho
    Dec 25, 2018 at 0:49
  • submit "look until find" to online dictionaries,e.g. iciba: 寻找直到找到 Search until you find it. 继续寻找直到你找到它 Keep looking until you find it, google translate:我找到它“直到”我发现它。seems acceptable although repeated (even single) use of 它 seems uncharacteristic of Chinese (cf. 1st example from iciba)
    – user6065
    Dec 25, 2018 at 1:44

2 Answers 2

Ok, I believe these are the colloquial expressions that you are looking for:

1. 我找了一找才找到。
  2. 我找了半天才找到。
  3. 我找了好久才找到。

The key word is 才, which is the closest to the English words "until" / "till".

No. 1 is perhaps the best match. "找了一找" simply means "looked for" or "searched", without any indication of time frame.

You should use "直到 [...為止]"

我一直找,直到找到它為止。

It's still correct if you omit 為止, but in this case keeping it sounds more natural to me.

"直到" has two meanings, one of which is slightly different from "until":

1. something is true before the time point, but false after it.

"Until" is this meaning. For example,

It's not available until tomorrow. 直到明天才有/能提供

I didn’t know this matter until now. 直到現在我才知道這件事

It's implied that it will be available tomorrow or after tomorrow and I know this matter now.

2. something is true before the time point, and could be also true after it.

For the second meaning:

Up to now I still remember this matter. 直到現在我仍然記得這件事

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.