I recently saw these phrases (from the song 我要你的爱): 你为什么不走过来 (I think it basically means: Why won't you come here) 你为什么不说出来 (I think it basically means: Why won't you say it) 为什么不肯说 (I think it basically means: Why don't you feel like saying it) I concluded their meanings from context but am still confused as to what the meaning of their predicate is: What exactly does 走过来, or 说出来, or 肯说 mean? How would they be translated? Are they colloquial expressions? Thanks

2 Answers 2

• "你为什么不走过来?" --> 你(you) 为什么(why) 不走过来(don't come over) --> "Why you don't come over?"

• "你为什么不说出来" --> 你(you) 为什么(why) 不说出来 (not speak out) --> "Why you don't say it?"

• "为什么不肯说" --> 为什么(why) 不肯说 (unwilling to say) --> Why do you unwilling to say?"

What exactly does 走过来, or 说出来, or 肯说 mean?

'走过来' means 'come over (by foot)'

'说出来' means 'speak (it) out' = "say it"

'说' means 'willing to speak/ say'

Depend on context 肯 could mean 'willing to' or 'agree to'

In English, you must put the question form before the subject. For example, you can't say "you why don't come over?" instead of " why you don't come over?"

However, in Chinese, question form and the subject can switch place. e.g. "(你)为什么不走过来?" = "为什么(你)不走过来?"

These are very common expressions, not dialect.

你为什么不走过来
Why don't you come on over?
你为什么不说出来
Why don't you say anything / what you feel / what's on your mind?
为什么不肯说
why don't you want to say anything?

These are easier to put into German, English has lost these kind of verb forms:
走过来
herlaufen (walk over from) (her (spoken like 'hair': indicates from somewhere towards the speaker)
说出来
aussprechen (speak out = speak, say something) (aus (spoken like 'ouse' from 'mouse': out)

肯:agree, willing, consent, 不肯:unwilling, disagree
不肯说 unwilling (to) speak

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.