the titles say's it, i have some old porcelain form china at home, and i would really like to know the meaning of the symbols in the photo attached. thank you!

enter image description here

日: (Sun, Pinyin:rì)

本: (Origin, Pinyin:běn)

大: (Big, Pinyin : dà)

三: (Three, pinyin :sān)

日本 :(Japan, Pinyin : rì běn)

Thanks, any idea if it's a concept of some sort, how it is red ? – Aleksa Andjelkovic Jan 13 at 14:11

Your porcelain is from Japan as it says Great Japan (大日本) .... This mark was intended to be read from the right then up to the top & left.

[item/photo#]: “1090. Mark: "Dai Nichi Hon" (Great Japan) over a sign meaning "roof/house" and the number "three", early 20th century. It is generally accepted that marks that includes "Dai Nippon" in Japanese characters on the whole date to the Meiji (1868-1912) period, reflecting the greatly increased nationalism of that period.

I found that pottery info at the webpage below & you can send a photo that pottery expert for more info.... https://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturyjapan.shtml

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.