On a sign outside a breakfast eatery in Taoyuan, Taiwan I saw a character I didn't know, that Google Translate with the phone camera didn't translate, and that I couldn't find in Pleco.

mystery character

It looks like 溏 but without the "mouth" component in the lower right. It looks like it has a "person" component there instead, but maybe that is part of the strokes above it, I'm pretty rusty.

Is this a common variant of 溏? Semantically I thought it more likely to be a variant of "sugar" 糖, but that has more differences.

焿 is a character on its own.

ZDic:http://www.zdic.net/z/1d/js/713F.htm

gēng 〔~子寮湾〕地名。在中国台湾省东北海岸。

Wiktionary: https://zh.wiktionary.org/zh-hans/%E7%84%BF

“焿”是“羹”的异体字,为台湾本地自创的形声俗字。

羹 means '(thick) soup, broth'.

A few notes:

• The left hand side of that character is「火」, not「氵」(unlike in「溏」)
  • 「庚」is not a variant component of「唐」.「唐」(boastful, exaggerative; Baxter-Sagart OC: /*[N-]rˁaŋ/) is constructed from semantic「口」(mouth) and phonetic「庚」(/*kˤraŋ/).

「焿」(thick broth, soup; Pinyin: gēng) is constructed from semantic「火」(fire) and phonetic「庚」(gēng), and as mentioned elsewhere, is a variant of「羹」. The whole sign says:

早餐 (BREAKFAST)

• 飯 (Rice dishes)
  • 麵 (Noodle dishes)
  • 焿 (Soup dishes)

I couldn't find [it] in Pleco.

Here's a simple way to find it in Pleco. You need to have the:

Fullscreen Handwriting Recognizer ($9.99)

add-on activated in Pleco.

Then all you have to do is write the character out to the best of your ability:

yoyoyo

and Bob's your uncle.

Wow, that handwriting recognition is a paid feature? I thought I got it for free. – droooze Jan 20 at 7:32
  • @droooze It's included in a lot of bundles & maybe it's free on Andorid, if I remember correctly(?). – user3306356 Jan 20 at 7:36
  • I was trying to use the handwriting recognizer that comes with Android Pleco. I usually find it's pretty good at foreigners silly attempts with wrong number and order of strokes, but I can see now that I was drawing an extra stroke and maybe didn't interpret which strokes join up. In this case I couldn't get it to recognize my attempts. I'll try now that I know how it should be handwritten... No I still can't get it. Maybe this one is less forgiving about wrong stroke orders? No, even mimicking an animated stroker order site I can't get it. – hippietrail Jan 22 at 4:13
    @hippietrail if you're curious as to why the recognition doesn't show up, maybe you can post one of your attempts at handwriting it? – droooze Jan 22 at 4:27
  • @hippietrail emulating the stroke order should definitely bring it up, 焿 is not even a "rare" character, so to speak. Maybe you can try what droooze said and show us how you're doing it then we can see what's going on. – user3306356 Jan 22 at 4:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.