I came across this example sentence translation in Pleco:

祝贺你喜得贵子

Congratulations on your newborn baby!

I think 喜(得) may be a typo for the following reasons:

• the English translation specifies that the baby is newborn. 喜 does not convey this information, but 新 does.
  • 新的 could very easily be mistyped as 喜得

I believe the sentence should be:

祝贺你新的贵子!

Does this seem correct? Thank you.

No, it isn't a typo.

喜得 roughly means obtained by good fortune, so 祝賀你喜得貴子 is a congratulatory message meaning something like congratulations on being blessed with a son.

enter image description here

In fact, 喜得貴子, 新得贵子 is a third party description.

喜得 actually means coincidentally. In some verbs, has nothing to do with the happiness, but coincident luck, i.e. 幸喜. Thus in a novel/essay, before 喜得貴子 context, it always meant the family has difficulty in getting children, i.e. 人丁单薄, 膝下犹虚.

However, over time, poorly literate media editors and movie script writers simply confused the meaning with happiness. That caused many people to start to misuse it.

Since traditional Chinese new born congratulations are gender discriminate, today, simply saying congratulations 恭喜 will do.

• 喜 has nothing to do with the happiness The oldest quotations containing「喜」usually means happy. 《詩・鄭風・風雨》:「既見君子,云胡不喜?」. – droooze Jan 23 at 9:45
    @ droooze I have mentioned in some verb. – mootmoot Jan 23 at 9:46
  • Ah okay, I guess you mean in 喜得 and 幸喜. Thanks for clarifying. – droooze Jan 23 at 9:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.