It seems like people are more sensitive to tones instead of phonemes. People may not notice some vowels/consonants are wrong but will immediately find that tones are weird. Does this apply for all tonal languages?

This sounds like a question that might be more appropriate for linguistics.stackexchange.com – user3306356 Feb 3 at 11:02
    Even as a beginner I have noticed while listening in a noisy car that tones remain distinguishable even when it becomes hard to hear things like -n vs -ng or some similar initials. – Ben Jackson Feb 3 at 22:27

Yes. It is not unusual for native Chinese to have difficulties distinguishing between nasal vs non-nasal or alveolars vs retroflexed, but I have never met someone who has difficulties distinguishing between the 4 tones in Mandarin. Though I am learning Cantonese right now and for me, a native Mandarin-speaking Chinese the 6 tones of Cantonese is a little bit tricky. I can't answer if this is true with regards to all tone languages, just my observation. Hope it helps

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.