A martlet is:

... a heraldic charge depicting a stylized bird similar to a swift or a house martin, with stylized feet.

"Martlet" is not present in my Chinese dictionary, and Google Translate does not produce any results.

So how can I write "martlet" in Chinese?

Context: I am describing the appearance of a martlet in the coat of arms of a particular university.


3 Answers 3


This looks like an extremely specialised field; I have no better suggestions than to describe it literally:


A charge depicting a martlet.


enter image description here


martlet /märtlət/

If there's no official translation, you can always use transliteration. For example 瑪勒鳥 (Mǎ Lēi bird)

Or you can call it '無足燕' , based on the description "swallow without feet"


seems like user3306356 had found the official translation of martlet-- '无足鸟'(no feet bird) ; But I wonder, if it is a kind of swallow, why not call it '無足燕'(no feet swallow)?

学名岩燕 (scientific name:rock swallow), may be '岩燕' is a better choice?



无足鸟,又称圣马丁鸟,学名岩燕,居住在山岩峭壁之上。 因此人们看不到它们休息,只见到圣马丁鸟无休无止的在空中飞翔,一生艰辛,因此有了无足鸟的美丽传说。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.