I worked with dialogue of two persons:

A: 外边下雨. 挺有意思.
B: 我可不觉得. 上个星期我穿了新衣服出门, 忽然倾盆大雨. 我的衣服报废了.

可不 - vocabulary translation gives "1) that's just the way it is. 2) exactly".
But here Person B is complaining about the rain and spoiled clothes. So does Person B agree with A?
Or may be "可不觉得" here is a short form of "可是 不觉得"?

The same as "I don't think so".

我 **可**(means emphasize) 不觉得
我不觉得
不觉得
不

When it's a single word "可不", as you post, it is an interjection often used when spoken; it means "exactly" or "you're right".

For example:

你真帅
那可不

And there won't be any usage of this meaning in the form of "我" + "可不", especially when they are two characters behind "可不". Just remember the usage scenarios of oral language like this (a sentence only has 3 characters).

And why can this negative word be used to represent approval? This is called 反诘 ("rhetorical question").

In 我可不觉得, you should not take 可不 as a word and instead you should separate it. The sentence is actually read as 我/可/不觉得.

可 engages the contrast to what A have said. B is trying to convey that he bears the reverse opinion to A about 外面下雨挺有意思, that is, 外面下雨 没有意思.

我可不觉得 can be translated as I just don't feel that way. just adds an emphasis like 可 does. 我不觉得 can be I don't feel that way.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.