I've been looking for documentation showing 不+"x" contractions resulting in "r" sounding initial consonants, but to no avail.

This is an interesting phenomenon and I'm sure the regular person would say: "it's just people talking fast, don't over think it," but in technical terms these would be some form of contractions. Think:

• 不 + 知道 = bu rao

• 不 + 是 = bu ri

I'm interested to know what kind of research has been done on these contractions, if any.

Any ideas?

It’s worth noting that 是, 知, and Pinyin [r] are all retroflex consonants. I don’t think quite the same effect can be achieved with, say, 不好. – droooze Mar 5 at 9:32
  • Something to do with [ɿ] perhaps? – user3306356 Mar 5 at 9:33
    If I understood you correctly, no, I don’t think it has something to do with [ɿ]. Consider 不少, I can imagine it being pronounced as burao, but [ɿ] doesn’t appear in the words. – droooze Mar 5 at 9:38
    This just exits in accent of Beijing (or places around Beijing), not in Madarin. – 賈可 Jacky Mar 6 at 4:54
  • 不知道 sometimes reads bu ri dao, even bu rao, as well as that 告诉你 reads as gaor ni, and 就这样 reads as jiu zhang. – 賈可 Jacky Mar 6 at 4:57

This phenomenon is a non-standard regional accent, known as 儿化音. It is a phenomenon in some part of North China, especially in Beijing.

不知道 (bù zhī dào) → 不道 (bùr rào)

不是 (bù shì) → bú shì → 不 (búr)

告诉你 (gào sù nǐ) → 告你 (gàor nǐ)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.