You may have know 眼睛 is eyes, and 眼镜 is glasses. They sound quite similar. I get confused when listening to someone say "yanjing". I may not know what the speaker refers to, eyes or glasses. How do Chinese people distinguish these two?

• Tones and context is needed if speakers with accents. – dan Apr 4 at 4:42

In different city or province people have very different pronunciations, we call it "方言"(dialect),so I don't know the situation in other cities, I'm a beijinger,I can tell how beijingers distinguish these two words.眼睛 the last word 睛 will be light reading, but 眼镜 the last word 镜 will be normal reading, otherwise,beijingers used to add a "er" pronunce in some specific words ,such as眼镜er,but 眼睛 has no 'er' pronunce.

Can distinguish from its pronunciation, there're four tones in Chinese "PINYIN", the first, the second, the third and the forth. 睛 is the first tone, 镜 is the forth tone.

普通话 see e.g.bkrs:

眼睛 yǎnjingCL:只[zhī],双[shuāng] context e.g.擦亮眼睛,眼睛发花,眼睛的错觉,闭上你的眼睛,...

眼镜 yǎnjìng CL:副[fù] context e.g.一副新眼镜,戴眼镜,摘下眼镜,把眼镜忘在家里,眼镜蛇,...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.