I got an answer from the internet but cannot make too much out of it.

My biggest issue is 蓍蔡. A search reveals this to mean "a person of high moral standing" or some sort of big turtle. So I am not quite sure what to do.

My interpretation:

明微推遠,憭若蓍蔡

[his words are] clear (明), precise (微), incredibly profound (推遠), as wise (憭) as that of (若) the most renowned and famous (蓍蔡)

As for the reference definition for「蓍蔡」:

漢語大詞典

1. 比喻德高望重的人。

• 明 張居正 《少師存齋徐相公七十壽序》:"天下方以公為蓍蔡,何可一日無也。"

• 明 陸深 《溪山餘話》:"公和易,不事邊幅,喜為後生輩談論講說,終日不倦……所謂國家之蓍蔡,若人是已。"

• 清 褚人穫 《堅瓠秘集・守龜》:"古人目老成人,則曰國之蓍蔡。"

• 蓍蔡 - how do you derive the definition "most renowned and famous"? – Andrew Wang Apr 9 at 3:40
  • @AndrewWang see edits. The "fame" meaning has an intellectual, wisdom, or morality component to it - it's not the kind of fame of movie stars. – droooze Apr 9 at 6:12
  • This comment is a bit late and I'm not sure whether I should ask this in a new question; how should I interpret "古人目老成人,則曰國之蓍蔡"? I think 目 refers to 看待, and I am not sure of what role 則 and 曰 play. – Andrew Wang Apr 13 at 2:15

the 國語辭典 has the entry "蓍蔡", which stated:

比喻有先見之明的人

roughly, as a metaphor of "person with foresight"

上稽天時.下測物變.明微推遠.憭若蓍蔡

understand the tinniest (明微), able to predict long time ahead (推遠); smart (憭.慧也) as (若) any persons with foresight (蓍蔡)

http://dict.variants.moe.edu.tw/variants/rbt/word_attribute.rbt?quote_code=QjAxMTg4

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.