I am trying to read a research paper from a Chinese research group (written in english). The author is frequently using the phrase "It will be better to ...", and I am having a hard time to understand the meaning of these sentences. Some examples:

It will be better to reveal the function of [subject] for suppressing [effect], and ...

It will be better to provide the theoretical support to select the proper [parameter] in the real application

It appears to me that this is an "unfortunate"/too literal translation of some common phrase, but I can't figure out what the authors want to say.

Does anyone with knowledge of the language have an idea what it could mean?

• I figure it's saying "it will be/look better if (one/the paper/etc) provide(s) the theoretical ..." – dan Apr 13 at 9:26
  • Thank you very much for your comment! So your interpretation is that the sentences mean something similar to "It would be nice if one provided the ..."? – Some reviewer Apr 15 at 7:52
  • It's probably suggesting that the paper would be improved if it adds (provides) the theoretical ... – dan Apr 15 at 10:38

Probably 最好 which literally translates as "best" and can be used similarly to the English construction, "You best be going now," or "You had better try again."

• Thank you very much for your answer! Could there be another possible meaning? I'm asking because I am having trouble to apply your suggested meaning to the sentences of the paper. E.g: "We best reveal the function of ..." or "The function of ... better be revealed" sound a bit strange for me, at least in the context of a scientific paper – Some reviewer Apr 15 at 7:41
  • @Somereviewer Have you tried looking for articles published by the same authors in Chinese? It would probably have examples of what you're looking for. – Ben Jackson Apr 15 at 16:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.