I wanted to say the sentence "I have a replacement class this Saturday". I translated "replacement class" in Google translate and got 替换课程. But when I typed the full sentence on Google translate it is 替补课. So should my sentence be 这个星期六我有替换课程 or 这个星期六我有替补课 or is there any other more approriate/colloquial way to say it?

Can you explain what a replacement class is in English? – zyy Apr 19 at 13:08
    Let's say a teacher couldn't come to teach on one day, so the teacher pick another extra day to teach so that he/she can replace the class. – Nephilim Apr 21 at 1:47
  • Nounification is quite a unique feature of English. Chinese uses verbs more often. – hackape Apr 21 at 16:42

The scenario you described is usually called 调(tiáo)课 in Chinese. I am not sure if there is a corresponding noun for replacement class in Chinese, but the sentence you had

I have a replacement class this Saturday

can be translated to

我们有一节课调(tiáo)到这周六了

in addition to what @zyy answered:

调 means making adjustments 课 means class

调课 sometimes implicitly means that we are swapping two classes, so it is slightly different from replacement class.

other possible translations:

这周六我有一节课要补

这周六要补上一节课

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.