In my Chinese class we’ve recently had a chapter quiz. I missed the following question:

Translate “He looks like Guan Gong” into Chinese.

My response: 他看关公一样。

Teacher’s correction: 他看起来像关公一样。

So my question is why is my response grammatically incorrect?

Both answers translate the same in Google Translate, but why is the “看起来” needed?

Don't trust google translate. – fefe Apr 25 '19 at 2:25
  • user expects google translate to correct wrong Chinese submitted for translation? It seems google is programmed to make a guess as to the intended meaning, and return correct English. – user6065 Apr 25 '19 at 4:43

V+起来 indicates that V is used as 感官动词(sense verb), like look/smell/sound/taste/feel in English

He looks like Guan Gong

If you think about it, "He" is not the subject of the action "look", he doesn't look at anything

A clearer example is:

This flower looks beautiful and smells sweet

A flower doesn't have eyes and nose, look and smell are sense verbs here, so the translation is:

这朵花看起来很漂亮, 闻起来很香

Also, V+上去 is same as V+起来

Your problem is not the grammar, but the vocabulary.

看 means "look", but only in the sense of "to look at", not "to look like". 像 means "to look like" / "to resemble".

So "He looks like Guan Gong" can be translated as:

他像关公。

So why 看起来 ? Maybe the teacher wanted to keep the 看 because that's what you used. 看起来 here is an adverb that means "seemingly" / "seems to".

他看起来像关公 He seemingly looks like Guan Gong.

The 一样 is not necessary here, but gives the sentence a nicer rhythm.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.