Lu Xun says here:

夫國民發展,功雖有在於懷古,然其懷也,思理朗然,如鑒明鏡,時時上征,時時反顧…

夫 is probably the literary auxiliary for introducing a new topic.

有,I assume means “partly”

思理:I’m very unsure about this. Might go with 思辨能力: the ability for analytical thought 朗然:brightly, clearly?

My translation attempt:

As for the development of the populace, the merit in part depends on keeping the Ancient Tradition. But it’s keeping must happen with clear analytical thought, as a mirror or a clear lens, at times proceeding, at times looking back...

There are many parts about which I am uncertain. Can you point out mistakes or improvements?

大端合辙,虽然,仍有未尽美之处。“有”表存在,古今因之。“思理朗然”应为“(其怀古之)思(之)理,朗然”,译作今文,私以为作“(然其怀也),思路和道理都清楚明白”。是陈述也。“鉴”为动词,窥镜而照是为鉴,而鉴镜之喻,上推汉唐。《资治通鉴》不为“鉴于往事,有资于治道”乎?据此“如鉴明镜”,当译为“就如以古为镜,反观自照”。“上征而反顾”无谬,故不细说。 – Toosky Hierot May 9 at 1:44

I think your translation is mostly accurate. But I don't think 有 means "partly" directly. In Chinese, 有 usually means "there is/are". So a more "verbatim" translation would be

..., although there are merits in keeping the ancient tradition,...

with the following correspondence

虽=although

有=there are

功=merits

在于=in

怀古=keeping…

As for 思理, you may know that 思 means "think, thought", and 理 means "reason". So 思理朗然 means

with clear thinking and reasoning

or

the thinking and reasoning must be clear

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.