I've just posted the question What produces these amazing 3D structures in Tibet? in Earth Science SE with the screen shots below. I'm told that the area is called 札达土林 in Chinese, and that seems to be Zanda County in Tibet

Is it possible to know if that location information is accurate? Is there a better way to identify the location where these images were taken?

I'd like to search further in order to eventually get some GPS coordinate so I can add to the linked question; "Zanda County in Tibet" is too large of an area pin down.

Screen shots from the video 航拍西藏 2018

札达土林 Zanda County in Tibet

札达土林 Zanda County in Tibet

• I understand that this is not the most defensibly on-topic question possible, but it's the limit of what research I can do. Thanks! – uhoh May 9 at 15:48
  • I wonder if it's the same idea as Goblin Valley in southern Utah.... – Stephen Cowley May 9 at 16:24

札达土林 is not Zanda County, but rather the Zhada Earth Forest National Geopark. Note that 札达 in Standard Mandarin pinyin is Zhádá, hence the English translation. The native Tibetan version, རྩ་མདའ, is transliterated with Wylie transliteration as rtsa mda', and the spelling "Zanda" is an approximation of the modern Tibetan pronunciation.

土林 literally does translate to "Earth (as in soil, dirt) Forest", but refers to any "forest of rock formations". Other examples include the one in Yuanmou, Yunnan.

• Thank you for the speedy answer, and background information as well! – uhoh May 9 at 16:33
  • I added a link to your answer back into the other question, I hope you don't mind. – uhoh May 9 at 16:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.