Recently I came across 铺就, today I have 造就。I tend to think of 就 as 'then'. Maybe that is wrong.

What did 就 originally mean? It seems to show a building and an injured hand??

There are other words with *就。
成就,将就,迁就,牵就 even 可就

How should I understand 就 in these combinations? What is its role?

has the meaning of 完成;成功 (accomplish) in 造就 (bring up / achievements) and 成就 (achieve;accomplish).

(9) 完成;成功 [accomplish]

(10) 又如:就亲(成就婚事,成亲);就名(成就功名)

When in 将就, 迁就 it means accommodate.

(12) 迁就;将就 [accommodate oneself to; suit; fit; yield]

(13) 又如:半推半就;牵就;就着(就便;顺便);就滑(随便;方便)

The original meaning of is

就,高也。从京从尤。尤,異於凡也。,籒文就。疾僦切 文二 重一

The left part 京 means high; tall, the right part 尤 means special; out of the common.

There is an extended discussion about 就 here http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/phorum/read.php?7,138618,page=1

My thinking is. 就 mainly means " then; just; only; near; close to

~

The original meaning of 就

http://www.shuowen.org/view/3315

'就,高也。从京从尤。尤,異於凡也

京 = high

尤 = extraordinary

就 = high

~

廣韵曰。就、成也。迎也。卽也。皆其引伸之義也

The core meaning of 就 is 'success; complete'; other means like 'get near' or 'then' are all extended from the original meaning

'就' in '铺就' and '造就' are adverb for 'completed' because '铺' and '造' are verb.

铺 = to pave

铺就 = finish paving

~

造 = make

造就 = completed making = create

~

成就 (achievement) is a compound word

成= completed

就 = height;

成就 = achievement

~

将就,迁就 are also compound words

'就' in '将就'(put up with) and 迁就 (accommodate) is a verb for 'approach' (you make accommodation to approach someone else's need or demand)

• 就 as a standalone verb it used to mean "to take", but now it usually does not stand alone, but the meaning remains.
  • 就 as a conjunction means "AND", thus extending original meaning "to take". Since you are "with an object" when you "take it", that is, it can be said that you are in a situation of "you AND it". Mind you there are many "and" in chinese (跟, 及, 也, 和, 并, 与, 而, 同 ect.) each has it's own connotation and perhaps evolved from a verb.

there is a disscussion about it, here A unified theory of 就 meaning

• Great! Thanks, very interesting! – Pedroski May 28 at 23:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.