I was wondering what Chinese people would write when they write a condolence card. Is it just a translation from the English or are there specific sentences?

The link user6065 gave is somewhat misleading. Chinese do not have the tradition of writing a condolence CARD. The wiki how page provided seems to be a machine translation of the English wiki how. So it doesn't mean anything if you want to write its counterpart in Chinese. The second link is about 唁电/唁函, which is a very formal letter or message you write personally after someone's death, to express condolence to the family and friends of the dead. It's not very similar to a condolence card in English context. Only if having very important relationship with the dead, and not able to mourn for the dead in person, can you write a 唁电/唁函. It's weird to write one for the death of a pet, or your neighbor you don't know much about.

To write a well-composed 唁电/唁函, one needs to 遣詞雅正 用語沉肅 不枝詞蔓語 賣弄文采 亦不因陋就簡 有失鄭重.

Knowing all these above, let's talk about how to write a 唁电/唁函.

Start with addressing the person or collective you write to:

-No other words needed.

敬爱的陈旭师母:(incorrect)

陈旭师母:(correct)

Main body

-Main body comprises 4 parts:

-Express your deep sorrow at the news

-Exalt the dead for his good qualities and good deeds, from your memories.

-Express gratitude, for how the dead helped you during lifetime. And you will always remember the dead and his spirit.

-Comfort the family/friends, encourage them.

Appropriate closing

-There are many standard opts for this part.

Your signature, time and date

Toosky Hierot wrote:

Chinese do not have the tradition of writing a condolence CARD

Yes, I agree, we do condolence mostly orally.

'condolence card'(慰問卡) is mostly accompany with delivered well-wishing gift like flower or fruit basket to family member of a deceased, or to sick or injured person. We do not need to send condolence card to someone who was dumped by his girlfriend or someone just failed a midterm exam

Here is what I would write in a condolence card:

A friend's mother whom I had never seen died:

致 (your friend's name):

請節哀 (please not to wallowing in sadness too much)

~ (your name) 啓

A friend just broken his leg in a car accident:

致 (your friend's name):

願你早日康復 (wish you recover soon)

~ (your name) 啓

As for the formal newspaper post/ letter of condolence (唁电/唁函) to the family members of a deceased, who had an important relationship with you, it is another matter. You should write a personal letter like you would to a dear friend

Actually Chinese people don't use condolence card, we use 挽联

驾鹤西游 a euphemistic way to say someone passes by.

enter image description here enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.