Sentence:

我太喜欢和他做朋友了

How can we use 做 in this meaning in other sentences? Where can I read more about it and what is the name of this "rule"?

And what is the meaning of the 了 in this sentence?

做 + identity = be identity

Example:做好人,做首領 (good person and leader are identities)

做 + procedure/action = do procedure

Example: 做大事, 做錯,做工 (great thing, mistake and work involve procedures or action)

the final particle 了 is a modal word for emphasis, if you remove it, the meaning of the sentence would not change, but the tone would be flat

Example sentence:

"要(做)大人物就要(做)大事" = "to (be) a great man, you need to (do) great thing"

Why do we use 做 in this sentence as “being”?

朋友 is an identity

Well, whereas in English you 'be a friend,' in Chinese you '做朋友。‘ Not much of a rule. Why does that surprise you? Do you think Chinese must copy English?

Have a look here. Number 8

我太喜欢和他做朋友了。

You could write:
我太喜欢当他的朋友。

Edit: I was reading an interview with a TV presenter today. He was asked if he acts role of an intellectual in his TV show. He said:

“我只是在做我自己”

I think there may be a similar form in English.

A: You should try to be more friendly.
B: I don't do friendly!

What is the meaning of 了? That is a whole Pandora's Box of questions!

The simplest answer is, it makes the sentence sound complete. Otherwise it sounds strange, according to a Chinese friend.

Original: 我太喜欢和他做朋友了
I much like with him being friends

1. 太...了

First, it uses the 太...了 grammar construct: see Expressing "excessively" with "tai". Most learners encounter this almost immediately with 太贵了. Here, it's used for emphasis, such as in 你太好了 or

喜欢吃饺子
I much like to eat dumplings

To simplify breaking it down further, I'll delete the 太 and 了, which only reduces the emphasis. I.e.:

我喜欢和他做朋友
I like with him being friends

2. What if we delete the 做?

We get a sentence which is incomplete:

我喜欢和他朋友 ✗
I like with his friend [..?]

Here, 他朋友 is interpreted as "his friend", i.e., 他的朋友; see Expressing close possession without "de".

3. Why 做 and not something else?

is one of these Chinese words that have a lot of meanings. In the original sentence, it could mean any of these (or some combination, or something in between):

to do; to make; to act as; to be; to become; to function (in some capacity); to serve as; to form (a bond or relationship)

Precisely what it means depends on context, which is presumably known to the people speaking.

In principle, in sentences like these, it's possible to replace 做 with 当:

我太喜欢和他朋友了

But in this example, it seems the formal and distanced 当 is mismatched with the informal and positive 太喜欢...了. This is probably not true all the time, but it's my impression. Compare it with examples such as the following:

我说过和他当朋友,他还是会说些逾越友情的话[src]
I said I was friends with him, [but] he still says a few exceeding-friendship words

怎样让一个男生知道,我只是想和他当朋友...[src]
How can I let a man know, I only want to be friends...

(For why it's not 是, see When do I have to use 做/当 instead of 是?)

4. Other examples

How can we use 做 in this meaning in other sentences?

Here's some examples I found searching the web:

我立志一名老师[src]
I'm determined to be a good teacher

妈妈后,为什么大家都失去了自我?[src]
After becoming a mother, why [does] everyone lose their self

我想小偷[src]
I want to be a thief

谁想百万富翁?[src]
Who wants to be a millionaire?

Quote:- “In principle, in sentences like these, it's possible to replace 做 with 当"

Interesting, because if you combine the two to 当做, it becomes "to treat, to regard, to perceive, to look upon" someone as a friend and not making someone a friend as 做 by itself would.

You can also replace 做 with 交, (jiao) which is, I think, less colloquial.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.