I want to find out what these symbols mean so I can find an approximate age. I have no experience with Chinese symbols any help would be really appreciated. Thank you. enter image description here

• Can you post a clearer picture? And also can you show what you've tried to figure out the inscription?
    – Mou某
    May 30, 2019 at 5:40
  • This is Japanese and it says 鐵鑄 (“鉄鋳”).
    – dROOOze
    May 30, 2019 at 6:04
  • cast iron kettle (tetsubin) are, most likely, japanese product. these two characters should be treated as kanji. i would suggest you ask in japanese language stack exchange: japanese.stackexchange.com May 30, 2019 at 7:16

2 Answers 2

The image is quite blurry but I think it says 铁铸, which are simplified Chinese characters meaning cast iron.

I can only see that they are traditional Chinese characters. the first one is "鉄", it means "iron", a kind of metal.

Your photo is not clear enough to see, can you post a clearer one?

• 鉄 is not a Traditional Chinese character...
    – dROOOze
    May 30, 2019 at 8:58
  • @droooze Isn't 鉄 listed in the Kangxi dictionary? kangxizidian.com/kangxi/1300.gif
    – Flux
    May 30, 2019 at 14:37
  • @Flux I'm not sure that being listed in the Kangxi dictionary means that something is a Traditional Chinese Character. Simplified Chinese, as a concept, did not exist until the turn of the 19th century; the Kangxi dictionary lists out the difference between Orthodox (正) and Vulgar (俗) forms, and 鉄 is a vulgar form, if you read that picture closely: 《正字通》俗用爲鐡字誤
    – dROOOze
    Jun 2, 2019 at 7:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.