For instance, "email" (or "e-mail") is one that has been essentially canonized (e.g. it has been added to various canonical dictionaries), but what about other instances of the addition of this morpheme and its Chinese translation? Is there a general heuristic or rule for indicating digitalization in Chinese, analogous to the English 'e-'?

After a few attempts on Google Translate, it seems like the way to go is to preface the word with “电子” (which means "electronic") – this seems right, but are there exceptions I should know about?

• For digitization, see also 云/云端 - cloud,网/网上 - online, 虚拟 - virtual. In the sense of electricity-powered, 电动 (e-bike 电动车) – zhantongz Jun 4 at 13:39
  • It's more like the marketing term. Electronic, cloud, connected, solid-state, shared, digital, etc...(Interestingly, computers has passed the "electronic" age since the 50s into the solid-state/semi-conductor phase, with the invention of transistor, like radios, but the name never changed. Right now the only consumer product that is truly "electronic" is only microwave oven). – user3528438 Jun 5 at 17:27

As far as I know, there's no exception for translating "e-" to "电子" unless it doesn't indicate "digital" electronic.

• I hear the buzzword "e-cigarette" on this just about every day, are you saying that 电子 would not work in this situation? – 小奥利奥 Oct 10 at 19:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.