I'm creating a half Japanese half Chinese character and I'm trying to figure out whether or not 宁和 can be used as a name. I'm also wondering if it means to aspire to peace and is read a "ninghe".

• 宁和 (Níng hé) is ok. as a name, One thing though, it sounds quite similar to Japan's new 年號 (reign title) 令和 (Lìng hé) – Tang Ho Jun 10 at 4:04
  • both 宁 and 和 mean peace, there's no 'aspire' part if that's what you mean – Jason Swift Jun 10 at 5:59
  • 郁宁?(yu4ning2)探宁(tan4ning2)玄宁(xuan2ning2)They are closer to "aspire and peace"(´▽`)ノ♪ – Toosky Hierot Jun 10 at 10:13

宁和 can be used as a real Chinese name. 宁 is a common family name and 和 is totally ok for a given name.

When used as a family name, 宁 pronounced as ning4. With such pronunciation, it also can mean "rather", like 宁死不屈(rather die than surrender).

When pronounced as ning2, it means quiet/peace.

To be clear, people will say ning4和 but won't understand the name as "rather peace". Usually, this name will be considered as "quiet and peace". It is a valid name but won't have the "aspire" to peace.

All the above is for Chinese name, not quite sure if it is allowed to only have 2 characters in Japanese name.

Recommend to use 和宁 with your surname, example: 王和宁

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.