This is obviously a newly invented character designed by someone with a message. What the message is, or what the point of the character is completely escapes me though.

enter image description here

I believe it's IDS is: ⿲舌⿳十⿴囗⿱龹贝⿱一八乚

Any ideas?

It is a polysyllabic invented "character", part of the online language of Chinese netizens (网语). It is a graphical representation of what one could call a "modern idiom": 贵圈真乱, guì quān zhēn luàn, roughly meaning "Your social circle is a mess".

The phrase was popularised on BiliBili, although its roots apparently date back to the mid 2000s. Baidu has an entry on the term. The use of 贵 as a sarcastic honorific is very much in vogue in Chinese netspeak.

The "mess" referred to can cover all manner of 'disapproved' conduct, although the general tone is not necessarily vitriolic.

• I guess that's why 贵 is not really represented in the character. – user3306356 Jun 11 at 15:08
  • @user3306356 yep so 圈真乱 is what it actually is combined with. But 贵圈真乱 is the phrase it refers. – Toosky Hierot Jun 12 at 4:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.