Encountered this in the Pimsleur transcript:

Nánrén: Wô gêi nî yìdiânr Rénmínbì. . Shí jiû kuài Rénmínbì. Xiànzài nî yôu duöshâo qián?

男人:我给你一点儿人民币。。 十九 块人民币。现在你有多少钱?

Man: I’ll give you some Renminbi. Here you go. 14 Renminbi. Now you have how much money?

They use it many times and always in the context of someone giving money or an item in a business transaction. The translation is always "here you go" or "here you are".

I can't find any other uses of this word in this way, or any dictionary mentioning this meaning. Is this a common expression? Is it regional?

Is this the same thing as 喏 / nuò?

• There is no syllable „no“ in standard Mandarin. Readings I am aware of are 1)na4 in 樸訥, 2)ne4 in 剛毅木訥。 – Ludi Jun 21 at 21:14
  • My impression of 讷 is, it is similar to '嗱' /naa4/ in Cantonese: 我俾啲人民币你吖。嗱。 十九 蚊人民币。而家你有几多钱? (嗱 - here you go) – Tang Ho Jun 22 at 0:07
  • I would say it should be 喏 instead of 呐,it should be a typo. – zyy Jun 22 at 12:52
  • @zyy It's not a simple typo, since it occurs multiple times, including in their vocabulary lists and glossary. It could be that one person was responsible for the whole document and confused the two. I don't see how they'd accidentally use a non-standard pinyin syllable, though. – Ben Jackson Jun 22 at 17:05
    as @Shadoweats answered, you need to combine it with a physical gesture of handing something out for the translation here you go to work. This is the same as in English, where saying "here" doesn't automatically mean anything, but the physical gesture makes the intention clear.' – droooze Jun 25 at 13:01

I think the correct character might be

吶 na4 used as an auxiliary word 语助词

We say 吶 na4 sometimes when giving someone something, so saying 吶 + the gesture of giving the thing away does translate to "here you go". The way I have heard it the most is "呐,这个给你".

However, I'd only use 吶 in informal speech with family or friends. It's quite casual and I don't think it's appropriate for professional settings, including business transactions.

Reference Notes

1. In the Zdic entry of 吶, it lists 讷 as interchangeable with 吶 when pronounced ne4 which means slow of speech or to speak with a stammer (讲话迟钝或口吃). I'm guessing this might be where typo stems from.

2. From the same Zdic entry mentioned above, one of the meanings of 吶 is 表示提醒注意 to get someone's attention. I think this "getting attention" + "the gesture of handing over something" combined implies the meaning of "here you go".

3. As an auxiliary word 語助詞, you can use 吶 in other cases without the meaning "here you go", for example "天吶" equivalent to "天啊" which is an exclamation similar to "Gee" or "Yikes" or "Oh".

4. 吶 is commonly seen as part of the word 吶喊 which means to shout / cry out.

(or 诺) seems to fit the description here.

If we look at KEY’s definition:

nuò

INTERJ
1 {regional} here!; there!; look! (used when showing or offering sth to sb
2 {classical} (the old form of nuò 諾/诺) promise, affirm, agree
3 (say) yes

First off nuò would carry effectively the same pronunciation as the given: nò.

Secondly the idea of say 喏 when handing something to someone is explicitly mentioned here in definition number one.

• It mentions that it is regional but I’m not sure what region it’s from - I’ve never heard it in the Southwest though. – user3306356 Jun 26 at 4:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.