Looking at the dictionary, I see that "throw rubbish" in Cantonese is "掉垃圾". However, in the past, I remember hearing something different for "throw rubbish": "wang垃圾".

I need some help:

• What is the character used to represent "wang" in "wang垃圾"?
  • In what region is "wang垃圾" used? It certainly does not appear to be Guangzhou or Hong Kong Cantonese.
  • Pretty sure it is not Malaysian Cantonese either. – Chan MT Jul 9 at 12:55
  • @ChanMT What's "throw rubbish" in Malaysian Cantonese? – Flux Jul 11 at 4:04
  • Same as what you mentioned: 掉垃圾,deu6 laap6 saap3. – Chan MT Jul 12 at 7:59

In Cantonese, we seldom say 扔(weng1)垃圾 as 扔 is more commonly used in wriiten Chinese. We either say 掉(deu6) 垃圾 or 抌(dam2)垃圾

Do you mean reng

The phrase:

扔垃圾

Can mean either to discard of garbage or litter.

• "扔" isn't pronounced as "wang", so I don't think this is it. – Flux Jun 26 at 7:26
  • @Flux Reng could easily be misheard as wang. There aren't many other combinations of x + 垃圾. – user3306356 Jun 26 at 7:32
  • reng1 (pinyin) is the Mandarin pronunciation of "扔", but this question is about Cangtonese. "扔" is pronounced wing1 (Jyutping) in Cantonese. However, "扔" is rarely used in Cantonese. "Throw" can be said in Cantonese as "掟" (deng3) or (in the case of trash) "抌" (dam2), but neither of those sound close to "wang". – user102008 Jun 29 at 23:27
  • @user102008 Maybe it’s 广普? – user3306356 Jun 29 at 23:45

I think I have heard "Dell" 垃圾 in spoken Cantonese
but I don't know how to write the word "dell"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.