I am trying to identify these artist seal meaning, if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.I have tried researching this myself but to no avail

https://i.stack.imgur.com/XnuIu.jpg

The seal says「萅」, which is one of the earlier forms of「春」(spring).

「春」(Mandarin Pinyin: chūn, spring) was originally constructed from simultaneously semantic and phonetic「屯」(tún, picture of a sprouting plant), and various other optionally present semantic components including「木」(picture of a tree),「屮・艸」(grass, plants, vegetation), and「日」(sun), inferring sun shining on newly sprouting vegetation > spring. The surviving glyph「春」is from an original combination of「艸・艹」,「日」, and「屯」.

enter image description here
合集29715

In the above character,「艸」is split into two「屮」, which surround「日」, all on the left hand side.「屯」is the portion found on the right.

• The combination of「艸」and「日」here survives as a component in a few characters, e.g. the left hand side of「朝」.

Later on, the components were subject to various changes:

References:

incredible. recognise the character from such low resolution picture :) – 水巷孑蠻 Jul 1 at 10:52
  • @水巷孑蠻 do you have any other ideas? the character in the photo seems to be missing a stroke for it to be 萅. – droooze Jul 1 at 11:52
  • well, with a structure ⿳; 艸 as the top, 日 as the bottom, not many choices: 著, 萫, 萶, 萻 & 蓍. as usual, without any further evidences, clearer pictures; i support your finding :) – 水巷孑蠻 Jul 1 at 12:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.