In the sentences 他努力工作 and 他应该用功学习.

努力 is an adjective, or a verb. In Pleco only has this two options but it seems to be a adverb, that modifies the verb 工作. Or is 工作 a verb and both are verbs?

I heard my teacher say 用功 that it is not an adjective in the above sentence.

Any clues?

• 努力 can be a noun for 'great effort' or a verb for 'to strive/ to work hard'

• 努力地 (in a hard working manner) is 努力's adverb form

The sentence "他努力工作" omitted '地' in "他努力(地)工作" (he works in a hard working manner)

• 用功 is also a verb for 'work hard'

• 用功地 (in a hard working manner) is 用功's adverb form

The sentence "他应该用功学习" omitted '地' in "他应该用功(地)学习" (he should study in a hard working manner)

Examples of 努力; 用功 as verb:

"他在努力" - "He is working hard"

"不要阻他用功" - "Don't stop him from working/ study hard"

Most common usage of 用功 is "to study hard"

Edit:

can you omit anytime with any adjective you use as an adverb?

It depend on the context

• 強烈 (strong)

• 強烈地 (strongly)

Look at the following two sentences:

1. "強烈反對" = [強烈(adj)+反對(n)] = "strong objection"

2. "強烈地反對" = [強烈地(adv)+反對(v)] = "strongly object"

If you omit 地 in sentence #2, it would become the same as sentence #1 . We would not know "強力反對" mean "strong objection" or "strongly object".

But with enough context, we can tell which is which.

"(他)強烈反對" = "(He) strongly objects" - With the subject "he", we know 強烈反對 must be [adverb +verb] . Therefore, we can omit the adverb marker '地' in "(他)強烈(地)反對"

"(他的)強烈反對" = "(his) strong objection" - With the possessive pronoun "his" , we know 強烈反對 must be [adj + noun]

• Very good answer. Now i got it clear. I did not know the 地 could be omitted. With this words is the first time i see it. ?can you omit anytime with any adjective you use as an adverb? – ANTXON Jul 14 at 10:58
  • @ANXTON Please see my edition at the bottom of my post. – Tang Ho Jul 14 at 11:56
  • Thanks again very good post – ANTXON Jul 17 at 7:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.