enter image description here

Can anyone else tell me what the last character is please?enter image description here

• Could you post the text around them as well? – OmniBus Jul 18 at 10:19
    You should give some context. Here’s a guess: 右同此 (...right side, same as this). – droooze Jul 18 at 10:32
  • Added a larger image. This is the largest one ive got. Thanks for help guys. – Joe Jul 18 at 11:06
  • Wow. Beautiful handwriting. Too bad people write with their hands so rarely nowadays... – Andriy Makukha Jul 18 at 11:25
    @AndriyMakukha It looks like the writer practicing calligraphy, for the right column doesn't form a meaningful sentence. – Toosky Hierot Jul 18 at 12:07

Chinese handwriting and calligraphy tradition allow for huge variability in appearance of characters.

With these three characters, first two are easily identified as 右 and 同. (Though the writer smooshes together the strokes of the mouth 口 part and the result resembles cursive letter n, yet his strokes clearly follow the right order.) For comparison, here are possible appearances of these characters from the Compilation of Cursive Characters《草字彙》:

右 and 同,from 草字彙

As for the third character, the right part quite clearly identifies as 匕, which got transformed into S-like or b-like stroke crossed by a checkmark-like stroke. According to the cursive character compilation《草字彙》, this transformation is a typical one for this radical:

匕,from 草字彙

That leaves us with only a few characters that have 匕 on the right, like 比 (compare),北 (north),此 (this),化 (chemistry), as well as more rare characters like 牝 (female animal), 叱 (shout), 吡,妣,秕,舭。Only 此 seems to make sense with the preceding characters. 

Moreover, I checked database of old cursive characters, and variants of 此 resemble what you have here most closely:

此,from 王羲之書法字典

So, in conclusion, I think this is most likely 右同此.

Just provide a guess: ‘学’.

Combined with the other two characters you give in the first image, you can get a phrase “右同学”, which means "Student You".

And I recognized a place name in the larger image you give: “高敞郡新林面新坪里”(starting from the fourth in the upper right corner), in English is "Sinpyeong-ri, Sinlim-myeon, Kochang-gun", a South Korean place name.

However, it's weird to see someone wrote a phrase like “右同学” in calligraphy writing. So, maybe my inference just go wrong.

• According to my cursive character database, cursive versions of 学 (學) don't look anything like this. – Andriy Makukha Jul 19 at 10:25
  • @AndriyMakukha Well, maybe you are right, I am less confident with my guess now. 😂 – user22419 Jul 20 at 12:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.