Anyone knows how to type a Simplified Chinese degree symbol (°) on a regular English keyboard? Thanks.

  • 2
    What is a "Simplified Chinese degree symbol"? Are you talking about「度」? – droooze Aug 9 at 16:02
  • 2
    @droooze I would've thought s/he meant some full-space Chinese version of the degree symbol like , instead of , but there's no such unicode mark. I would've thought s/he meant some fast encoding of the degree symbol on Chinese keyboards, but default Chinese keyboards don't produce degree signs either. So, yeah, I have no idea what they're talking about. – lly Aug 9 at 18:18
  • I tried to display °(Alt+0176) in my Chinese application. It displayed garbage when I compiled and ran my program. I assume there must be a different ° in Chinese code page. I may have found one a minute ago, which is Atl+0186. It displays a ° with an underscore. Not sure if it is the right one. – Staytuned123 Aug 9 at 18:56

Chinese word processors have the option to use U+2103 ℃ or U+2104 ℉, to get over the typographical problem of displaying a degree much closer to the C or F than otherwise allowable in fullwidth text.

However, it is also true that the Chinese 度 is used more commonly in everyday text and in most newspapers; my personal contact with ℃ has been in academic papers.

Both of these are in the Unicode block "Letterlike Symbols", alongside ℏ, the "Planck constant Over Two Pi" U+210F and Ω the Ohm sign U+2126; most common is likely the ™ trademark sign U+2122, also repurposed in modern Chinese's Internet slang.


In China,people use input software to type.For me,I choose Baidu Input.So I just type "du" on keyboard,then I can choose ° from it,or as I type "wendu" on keyboard,℃ is on the list for choose.


Maybe, you should need a Chinese Input application. You can use this symbol:"。。。。。"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.