I was wondering if anyone could help with the translation of this seal (image has been flipped), and the characters on the side as well.

No knowledge here, but have tried handwriting the seal characters in google translate and think they may be 霄籁? Heaven Music?

Thanks in advance!

enter image description here

enter image description here

Seal:

范霞

A name. Its pronunciation is dependent on where the artist comes from, so I won't give one here.

Calligraphy:

一九六四秊(年)七月秉昌刻于香江

Carved at 香江 (location) on July 1964 by 秉昌 (another name)

Not sure about the last character「江」.

All of these proper nouns (names, locations) refer to multiple places/people in the East Asian cultural region, so only you (who knows the context) would be able to fully get the background information of the object.

Thanks @TangHo and @水巷孑蠻 who mentioned that 香江 is a poetic name for Hong Kong and that 秉昌 is the first name of a famous seal carver (陳秉昌) from Hong Kong.

In that case, 范霞 is probably a Chinese name, and is the customer who requested their seal carved by 陳秉昌.

Still no translation, but I'll provide Cantonese and Mandarin Romanisations for 范霞:

• Cantonese: Faan6 Haa4
  • Mandarin: Fàn Xiá
  • Amazing, thanks so much! Could you provide an english translation for 范霞? – Jeff Delich Aug 20 at 13:38
  • @JeffDelich I've updated some information, but essentially I won't translate it because I think it's a name. – droooze Aug 20 at 13:39
    香江 is a poetic nickname for Hong Kong 香港. – Tang Ho Aug 20 at 14:56
    you mean omitting the surname? sure, if the maker has 字 or 號, he/she might omit the name totally. – 水巷孑蠻 Aug 20 at 15:02
    范 is a common Chinese family name. 霞 means rosy clouds or multi-coloured sunlight – Tang Ho Aug 20 at 15:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.