I've looked around and one place says it's from the skin of an animal, another one says it's an axe striking a beast and another one says it's a battle helmet with an animal skin.

So what's the story behind it and it's relation to the meaning today?

Thanks!

Dislcaimer: The interpretations of the glyph forms and OC reconstructions are my personal opinion. Professional opinions state that this character is still open for interpretation.

enter image description here
甲1249
合集31219
西周

大克鼎
集成2836
春秋

公克敦
集成4641

I guess you can view「克」(Baxter-Sagart OC: /*kʰˤək/, to achieve victory over/subdue/defeat an opponent in a military confrontation), as being a merger between semantic「由」(battle helmet, now written as「冑」) and reduced phonetic「革」(/*kˤrək/). The graphically reduced「革」looks like「⿱廿尸」or「⿱口尸」(picture of animal skin and horns).

Specifically, the bottom part of「由」is merged with the top part of the reduced「革」.

For reference:

• 「由」

甲2123
    合集557
    戰國・楚
    簡帛
    六德・19
    郭店楚簡

• 「皮」(skinning an animal)

西周

九年衛鼎
    集成2831

秦律十八7
    睡虎地秦簡
    西漢

孫臏・220
    銀雀山漢簡

• 「革」(picture of flattened animal skin). Roughly speaking,「⿱廿尸」or「⿱口尸」is「革」folded in half along the animal's spine.

花東474

西周

康鼎
    集成2786
    戰國・楚
    簡帛
    遣策
    天星觀楚簡

秦律雜抄16
    睡虎地秦簡

That's what I miss about the Outlier Dictionary sometimes. What you did was corroborating the ideas. The dictionary saying "it's a helmet with an animal skin" was not enough. You just drew every single part and now I'm totally convinced that it really is (even if it's wrong) a helmet fused with the skin. Thank you! – Enrico Brasil Sep 20 '19 at 14:08

Outlier writes:

克 depicts a battle helmet (now written 古) and an animal skin (now written 儿). It was used in bronze inscriptions to mean “to defeat.”

Their reference is:

季旭昇,2004《說文新證》,台北:藝文印書館印行,2014年9月二版。p. 237

And they also give the ancient form of the character:

• Yeah, I have that dictionary. But sometimes I think the explanation is too shallow. – Enrico Brasil Sep 13 '19 at 14:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.