I went to a library the other day and found Roald Dahl's Matilda. I started reading, and I found what I think might be a typo (but maybe not---Roald Dahl has a quirky writing style):

The second page of Roald Dahl's Matilda

My transcription:

如果那天我正好是诗情勃发,我还可能这么写:”虽说稀奇,却是事实,...

Here's my attempt at disassembling this:

If [如果] that day [那天], I [我] just enough [正好] am [是] poem [诗] emotion [情] break out [勃发], I [我] still [还] can [可能] write this way [这么写]: "although [虽说] it's odd [稀奇], but [却] it is [是] a fact [事实], ...

I'm just wondering how to make sense of this, particularly the part in bold.

Question: What does 我正好是诗情勃发 mean in the Chinese translation of Roald Dahl's Matilda (p.2)?

• You seem to have added in an extra verb. It just says 如果那天我正好诗情勃发 – there’s no 是. Also, 正好 doesn’t mean ‘just enough’ here, but rather ‘just then happen to be’, i.e., “If on that day I just happened to…”. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Sep 15 at 13:02

The original English (p. 4) of 如果那天我正好是诗情勃发 is:

"Or if I were feeling lyrical that day."

Your breakdown is okay. 诗情 is a word of its own though, it is defined by ABC as:

poetic sentiment

You might even make a case for 诗情勃发 as a single term.

Chinese translations of English works are notoriously bad in general and this translation doesn't seem any more natural.

诗情 (poetic sentiment) 畫意 (picture like feel)

"诗情畫意" is a common expression for "artistic vibe" (both poem and painting are art)

"lyrical" (抒情) is an adjective that describe a feeling of a person

"if I were feeling lyrical that day." should be translated as "如果那天我诗興大发"

"诗興" means "desire to create poem (desire to be artistic) "

"诗情勃发" would mean "my artistic vibe strongly express itself"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.