Interestingly, the hardest language to learn is also the most widely spoken native language in the world. Mandarin Chinese is challenging for a number of reasons. First and foremost, the writing system is extremely difficult for English speakers (and anyone else) accustomed to the Latin alphabet.

Does it increases IQ level or does a person must have a maximum IQ level to learn Chinese?

Of course not because some low IQ native Chinese can speak and write Chinese too. The only thing you need is patience and practice. – Farnz Seager Sep 28 at 20:18
  • As a child? As an adult? Basically, learning anything requires an adequate level of "the ability to learn things", of which one quantifier is IQ. – Yoav Vollansky Sep 29 at 8:31
  • Haha! If I can learn it, then definitely no, a very low IQ is enough! – Pedroski Sep 29 at 8:38
  • I suspect the kinds of people who think "hey, I want to learn Chinese" (and don't drop out the minute they hear about tones) already work hard academically. In any case, I feel this question is better suited to psychology.stackexchange.com as users there would be more familiar with the psychology side of the question. – Becky 李蓓 Sep 30 at 8:00

Your question is too subjective
If learning Chinese demands high IQ level, does that mean Chinese can easily learn English? Obviously it's not the case.

Difficulties for learning new languages is relative to your mother tongue. It is not easy to memorize the Chinese characters, but the grammar structure is not too difficult. Try to learn Japanese and you will see Chinese is not that difficult.

Any new language requires time for you to master, just take your time to practice writing and memorize the character, and you will be fine.

If I understand the concept of IQ correctly, you can learn pretty much everything even with a low IQ, it will just take more time. The reason why it's hard for English speakers is because Chinese is so different than English. Our brains learn more easily things that are similar to things we already know. This is why you will have an easier time learning Spanish than Chinese if you're an English speaker. It also has to do with how much you got exposed to Spanish compared to Chinese. It's worth nothing that East Asians struggle with English very much because for them English is so different than their own languages.

After learning Chinese for a while you start to grasp some things more quickly - because it became something you already know. A few times I also found tiny things in Chinese that are similar to English or even to my native language Hebrew, which is pretty weird but cool.

Everyone can learn Chinese, it can take more or less time for you but it doesn't really matter. It's a fun journey!

While trying to learn Mandarin, especially writing, I always thought, "Pity the poor Chinese kids who have to learn this!" (though I also feel sorry for anyone who has to learn the hodgepodge that is English).

Is language learning difficulty really entirely relative? Surely some languages must be harder even for native children?

Here's an interesting list comparing difficulty for English speakers: https://www.effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty

• pithiest are those who learn traditional chinese in cantonese 😿 – 水巷孑蠻 Sep 30 at 8:30

Of course no!
If it requires high IQ to learn Chinese, how do Chinese people learn it?
In fact it is not that hard to learn Chinese. You should memorize the vowels and consonants of pinyin first. That would be a great start for you.

• Chinese can learn it because it is their native language but for the outsider, maybe, IQ can play a role. – Ayman Amjad Sep 30 at 12:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.