I can't seem to figure out the Chinese term being referenced here.

In the Japanese "riichi" rules for mahjong, there is a rule called "furiten," which prevents a player from using a tile matching one they have already discarded to win the game. Almost every explanation of "furiten" I have encountered claims that this rule's name is "translated from the Chinese meaning 'sacred discard'."

The characters of "furiten" (振聴) are traditional Chinese characters and are thus translatable, but they do not seem to have the meaning "sacred discard."

振: zhèn (Shake, vibrate) 聴: tīng (to listen, hear, obey)

Neither of these characters are parts of words meaning "sacred", "discard", or any combination of these either. This leads me to wonder: where does the claim that "furiten" is a translation of some chinese term for "sacred discard" come from? If there is such a chinese term, what is it?

• 日本立直麻将是中国麻将传入后的变体。“振听”是立直麻将独有的规则。仅从字义上解释,“听”自然是“听牌”,而“振”恐怕是用了“消除”的意思,如“振疑”为“消除疑虑” – Toosky Hierot Oct 1 at 19:22
  • 就此规则而言,“振听”描述的是“能和而未和,故不能再荣和”的状态,是适应立直麻将有番即和,点炮包干特点的规则,是故“振听”的说法合情合理。“sacred discard”其实十分片面,因为点炮不食这件事情也会造成振听。 – Toosky Hierot Oct 1 at 19:44
  • Fiction. Does this answer your question: boardgames.stackexchange.com/questions/24803/… – user3306356 Oct 2 at 12:43
  • There are three way to Furiten. According to wikipedia, they are 捨て牌によるフリテン(Furiten based on discard), リーチ後のフリテン(Furiten after riichi), 同巡内フリテン(Furiten in a turn) in japanese. And I believe "Discard" (捨て牌) is come from the first rule. – tsh Oct 15 at 9:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.