I was watching the movie "fearless (2006)" starring Jet Li and the character said to his friend "After all these years of friend ship, you still don't know me?" and then he goes with this phrase : "刀不长眼".

here's the Chinese conversation:

劲荪: 你走吧!
       就算我们这么多年朋友白交一场!

霍元甲: 你轰我走?这么多年的朋友,你不认我了?。。
        [A moment of silence and then he says]
        刀不长眼。
        所有人都退下。[shouting]

I don't understand the meaning of "刀不长眼" in this situation. because as long as I know 刀 means "knife" or a measure word for knife and 眼's translation is related to "eye".

What's the meaning of "刀不长眼"?

It's a metaphor. Do you know the phrase 刀剑无眼?Knife or sword can easily hurt onlookers(innocent people) by mistake during a tense fight. – dan Oct 4 '19 at 8:06
  • Thanks a lot @dan – Ashkan K Oct 4 '19 at 14:49

It means the knife doesnt have eyes,it could hurt people easily,in the sentence,it means if things lose control some people gonna get hurt so better calm down

| improve this answer | |

To understand Chinese, sometimes you need to think deeper. Your understanding is right, "刀" means knife, "眼" means eye. "不长" means without, while "不" means no or dont and "长" means have in this sentence. So, put them together, the sentence means the knife doesn't have eyes. Think deeper, what happens if some thing doesn't have eyes and move fast? It may hurt someone. So, the deeper meaning of this sentence is watch out, you gonna get hurt.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.