By "China," I am referring to the Mainland, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan collectively, without regard to geopolitics. Is there a word that refers to this entire region that would not offend any Mainlanders, Taiwanese or citizens of the Special Administrative Units?

maybe "大中華區". most multinational corporations used this term to describe the regions you mentioned.

such usage is correct, in context of nowadays, or recent decades. historically, taiwan was integrated into the chinese empire after ~1683. before that time, formosa was colonised by the dutch, spanish.

history of taiwan

last, and most importantly is: how do you define "chinese speakers".

there're many ethnicities in "greater china" can speak chinese, they've their own cultures, languages and ideas of state / nation. so, "politically neutral" is, imo, unattainable.

it's better to seek a term that's vague, fuzzy enough; that no-one want to waste time and effort to argue its precise definition.

• I mean speakers of any of the Chinese family of languages such as 国语,粤语,客家话,闽南话 who use Standard Chinese for written communication. I'm not counting Tibetans, Mongols, Uyghurs or other minorities who speak unrelated languages and have different writing systems. – K Man Oct 7 at 21:07

中國大陸和台灣 / mainland China and Taiwan

Obviously Taiwan is not located inside mainland, so restricting China to mainland China may meet your purpose

• No, this won't include HK and Macau. Greater China is quite internationally recognized – sylvia Oct 10 at 5:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.