In the sentence 唔知佢點解,佢閒日唔會打電話嚟。

What is the meaning of 閒日? The official translation given by my reference is “weekdays”, but when i searched this in the dictionary, the meaning given is “free time”.

Which is it? Is it a cultural difference?

• 閒日 means weekdays, but contextually it's a metaphor(free time/non-busy days) – wada Oct 9 at 6:14

Words.hk defines it as:

名詞
星期一至五, 唔屬於星期六日或公眾假期嘅日子(量詞:個)
weekdays: Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday, Thursday or Friday; usually with the restriction of a non-holiday

And they give the example:

閒日飲茶有折喎!
haan4 jat2 jam2 caa4 jau5 zit3 wo3!
Discount for dim-sum on weekdays!

——

閒日 is literally made up of the characters for idle + day. Why weekdays are idle days could only be explained by slow business - because business is would, assumably, be good on the weekends and holidays. But you’d never hear this usage in Mandarin where it just simply means “off day,” i.e.: a day where one doesn’t work.

——

Guangzhouhua-Putonghua gives it a different Cantonese definition:

背集;不逢集的日子。

“Non-market days.”

CCCanto’s definition is also similar:

free time or off day

閒日 means "weekdays" instead of "weekend" because restaurants, touring and entertaining business get busy in weekend and holiday. (I worked in restaurants, so I am familiar with this term)

閒日(weekdays/non-busy days) is a lingo in the business mentioned above.

The more accurate translation of 閒日 should be "non-holiday weekdays" or literally "non-busy day"

Another Cantonese term for weekdays is "拜頭" (short for 禮拜頭). "拜尾" (short for 禮拜尾) means weekend.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.