Need a word to describe someone who doesn't need the product but buys it because he/she has a coupon.

I would use 贪小便宜的 , but what is a proper equivalent in English

Have seen the posts https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/308698/a-word-for-a-person-who-never-overpays, still couldn't decide which is the best one.

Note:I am looking for the English equivalent of 贪小便宜的,rather than a Chinese synonym.

You can use 葛朗台, which is actually the Chinese translation of the main character's name in Eugénie Grandet, a novel by French author Honoré de Balzac.

A less witty one would be 小气鬼,which is equivalent to the English penny-pincher or cheapskate.

• I believe OP was asking for an English translation rather than a Chinese one but you've included penny-pincher and cheapskate so that might suffice. – user3306356 Oct 13 at 3:01
    Just want to say while penny-pincher and cheapskate fits well, 小气鬼 is not really a good translation for these words. 小气鬼 is usually referred to someone narrow-minded – Alex Oct 15 at 21:23

Need a word to describe someone who doesn't need the product but buys it because he/she has a coupon.

You want 1 word, in Chinese (or English?), for a compulsive redeemer of coupons.

Such a word does not exist.

I would like to redeem this coupon.
我想使用这张优惠券。

If he has a coupon for something, he will buy it.
如果他有优惠券,他就会买东西的。

a compulsive consumer: 一个强迫症消费者

thrift: 节约, 节俭
thrifty: 节俭的

a compulsive saver: 一个强迫症节俭者。

A person who has to use coupons if he has them might then be:

a compulsive redeemer of coupons: 一个强迫症使用优惠券者???

She just has to use coupons.
她强迫性地使用优惠券。

Wasn't there a Hongkong film "消费狂“ about a woman who could not stop buying?

• Thanks, I guess " a compulsive redeemer of coupons" is something I am looking for unless there is a more accurate but simple alternative. – mfg Oct 16 at 7:01

贪小便宜的=
1. a cheap ass
2. niggard
3. (likes to) take (petty) advantages of (others)

贪小便宜的 basically means a stingy person or cheapskate. I think this is a pretty good description.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.