I don't understand this sentence:

什么时候我也会看到你们受这份罪的,你们两个。

什么时候我也会看到你们受这份罪的,你们两个。
I'll be seeing you some time, you two.
(玛帝尔达 (Matilda), page 127; English version pdf page 111)

It doesn't seem too well matched to the English text:

When [什么时候] I [我] also [也] will [会] see [看到] you (plural) [你们] ??? [受这份罪的],you both [你们两个].

Perhaps 什么时候我也 combines to mean something like "I always...".

Question: What does this sentence mean?

• It's matilda, I have learned several years ago. If you can give the whole story image, may I will translate better. Oh, pool English – Alergicx Oct 13 '19 at 8:33
  • I can't see the image; I think Imgur is blocked here. So hopefully it looks okay. – Becky 李蓓 Oct 13 '19 at 8:39
  • I'ts a bad translation of "I'll be seeing you (suffer) some time, you two" – wada Oct 17 '19 at 0:07

[什么时候] - Some day

[我也会] - I too will

[看到] - see

[你们受] - you suffer

[这份罪的]- this pain/ suffering

罪 in 受罪 doesn't mean "crime". It is referring to "pain/ suffering" and 受罪(suffer - like being punished) is a synonym of 受苦 (suffer- pain)

[你们两个] - the two of you (The speaker add this as a declaimer to make sure his target take notice how serious he is)

"什么时候我也会看到你们受这份罪的,你们两个!"

"Some day, I will see you suffer this pain too, the two of you"

Similar example: "You will pay for this! All of you will pay!" (你們會為此付出代價! 你們所有人都會付出代價!)

“You two… Someday I will see you both suffering from this.”

Possible syntax error exists. Please let me know :)

UPDATE

Sorry for the misinterpretation above: that is not an answer to the question in OP.

According to the English version, the Chinese translation contained something that may not even exist in the original transcript.

什么时候我也会看到你们受这份罪的, 你们两个.

This seems to be a curse if no more context involved, whose corresponding translation is presented above. But according to the book, it seems that this Hortensia simply means "I'll be seeing you [be treated like this] some time, you two". This is actually a simple warning that the Headmistress would be very harsh on these little girls, and Hortensia seems to be in audience only, i.e. stand by and watch the scene.

Of course, a treatment described in that tale is truly something that one might "suffer" [since this is not only something one might going through, but also with so much agony and pain], so the Chinese translator used “受这份罪”. Instead I would say

有一天/我/也会看到/你们两个[被这么对待的吧].

Some time / I /will be seeing / you two [be treated like this].

• No syntax error, excellent translation! – Pedroski Oct 13 '19 at 6:48

(when you suffered from trouble ,may someone laugh at you then you say this ) you two will get in trouble like me, oneday. (it seems like speaker is angry and ask you don't laugh at him. ) im a chinese, you can ask if you want .but my English is pooooool 😂😂

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.