Instead of showing all the Chinese characters that matches the ma regardless of the tone when the user types ma:

enter image description here

the keyboard should not show any Chinese characters.

In order for the Chinese characters to be shown, the user would have to explicitly indicate the tone number, then the Chinese characters that matches the tone number will be presented to user.

ma1 = 妈 孖 嬷

ma2 = 麻 蟆

ma3 = 马 码 玛

ma4 = 骂 杩

ma5 = 嘛 嫲

Are there any iOS keyboard (or even Android) that facilitates that?

This way, the learner is forced to learn the proper sound of each Chinese characters.

EDIT

To clarify, currently this is how iOS behaves when the user explicitly indicates tone, example for ma1:

enter image description here

The Hanzis that iOS presents to user are not filtered from the tone the user types (e.g., ma1). iOS just merely shows all ma regardless of tone. Thus with ma1, iOS presents these choices to users:

吗1 码1 吗 妈 嘛 马

吗 码 are 3rd and 5th tones respectively, not first tones.

• send a feature request to Apple.:) – sylvia Oct 29 at 16:17
  • If you don't get a satisfactory answer here, there is also Apple.SE. Actually the same question was asked here Using pinyin with tones to input Chinese characters. – Becky 李蓓 Oct 30 at 2:16
  • @Becky李蓓 Thanks, I'm looking for iOS. Anyway, the link you sent to (for macOS) is nice and almost ok, it can cycle through 1st,2nd,3rd,4th tones using Tab key. However, when pressing the Tab key again after the 4th tone, meaning the pinyin changes to untoned, the Hanzi list goes back to unfiltered again, instead of filtering just the 5th tones (neutral tone) Hanzi, thus there's no way to explicitly filter the 5th tones only – Michael Buen Oct 30 at 4:31
  • Not every Chinese language speaker can speak standard mandarin. That could be a reason of why most IME do not support tones. Btw, if there are too many candidates, typing a word and then deleting one character may be a choice. For example, typing mama for 妈, mayou for 麻, maan for 马, majie for 骂. – tsh Nov 1 at 5:53
  • @tsh It used to be supported on OS X 10.8 apple.stackexchange.com/questions/244967/… The alternative suggested by Becky (using Tab key) would be perfect if it also supports neutral tones, and also that's just for computer. Still need to find a better mechanism for iOS – Michael Buen Nov 4 at 0:00

There is a way to add toned pinyin keyboard on an iOS. I haven’t throughly look at the website,but there are some good references on it.

Here is the link: https://yoyochinese.com/blog/how-to-type-pinyin-mandarin-chinese-tone-marks-windows-mac-os

• That's different, it's just a way to write pinyin with tones, e.g., mǎ. It's clear in my question ("In order for the Chinese characters to be shown, the user would have to explicitly indicate the tone number, then the Chinese characters that matches the tone number will be presented to user.") that I want to write toned pinyin, ma3 for example, and then iOS will present to user only those ma Hanzis that are 3rd tone only – Michael Buen Oct 30 at 12:41
  • I still want to write in Hanzi (马, not pinyin like mǎ) by explicitly indicating the tone in the pinyin (e.g., ma3), afterwards I want iOS to present Hanzis that matches ma3. Currently, iOS don't have a way to force the user to indicate the tone in pinyin. When typing pinyin, example if user types ma, iOS will show all Hanzi ma regardless of tones, e.g., 妈, 麻, 马, 骂, 嘛. If I type ma1 in iOS, it shows 码1, 吗1, which are 3rd and 5th tone instead, instead of first tones. I'll include a screenshot to show how iOS currently behaves – Michael Buen Oct 30 at 13:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.