I wrote a sentence which involved 故意 (gùyì; deliberately) and my teacher explained that 故意 is a negative word: you can't deliberately do something good using 故意. (I won't reproduce that sentence, since it contains other errors.)

But in English, "deliberately" ("intentionally"; "on purpose") is not necessarily a bad thing.

To help the students understand her, our teacher deliberately speaks slowly.

I might translate this to

为了让学生明白她说的,我们的老师故意地说得慢。

but then we have the problem of 故意 being negative. I'm not sure if 有意 has the same issue, but it seems very similar to 故意.

Question: Is there a neutral way of saying "deliberately"?

老師 特意 說的很慢。 特意 is intentionally. – Toosky Hierot Nov 1 at 5:25
    @TooskyHierot Try not to leave answers in the comments section, thanks. – user3306356 Nov 1 at 5:32

'故意' implying someone intend to do some bad things. If you want to say someone intend to do things specially. You can use '特意'. This word do not imply any bad or good intention. It only emphasize 'specially'. But in most of case, Chinese love to use it in positive senarios, like me.

为了让学生听得明白,我们老师特意把语速放慢。

在下班的路上,他特意绕路去医院看望母亲。

Try:

为了让学生听得明白,我们老师有意识地把语速放慢。

有意 or 有意识地 doesn't have a negative connotation.

Another good word that can fit for this context is 刻意.

为了让学生听明白,老师刻意放慢了语速。

I personally prefer 有意识地 for the context. It's because 有意识地 implies that you have realized something and then you deliberately make some adjustments to accommodate it. In OP's case, the teacher realized that the speed of his/her speaking mattered, so he/she deliberately spoke slowly.

But other words 刻意,特意(suggested by others)can fit as well.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.