OK, some of the characters we know come from the regularization of the cursive form, like the radical 言 became 讠, etc. But how do I find how some really weird characters came from, like 舊->旧, 靈->灵, 異->异 and so on?

EDIT: To make it more clear, the above character are only examples. I'd like to know where they came up with the rules of EVERY AND EACH of the simplifications. Where do I find those rules?

Thanks!

• You have outlier? Check out their reference 邵源、邵冠勇,2010《簡化漢字解說》. Anyway 旧 is from regularisation of cursive. The original character is 臼, which is the phonetic of 舊. – droooze Nov 6 at 21:54
  • The simplified character is only for writing convenience(political & educational reasons by CPC), may not for the meaning. – Conifers Nov 7 at 1:31
  • Simplified glyph is still related to original glyph, some come from calligraphy (like Japanese, zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B9%B3%E5%81%87%E5%90%8D) and some use existing variants as reference. – Daniel Yeung Nov 7 at 8:55
  • @DanielYeung 异 and 灵 are not related to the original glyph. 异 is a new creation (only the bottom part of 共 remains), while 灵 was a character used for another word. – droooze Nov 7 at 11:26
  • Guys, those are only examples... I'd like to know where they came with the rules of EVERY AND EACH of the simplifications. – Enrico Brasil Nov 7 at 14:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.