I'm interested in explanation of why certain symbol means what it means, in other words what object or scene it depicts. There is some books about that, like "Origin and evolution of...", but I wonder if there's way to get that information for free - some website.

this is an online dictionary you can search for certain words. http://www.vividict.com/

And I hope this includes symbols you want to know..

• Sorry, can’t support vividict. Too many personal and wacky interpretations there. – droooze Nov 15 at 2:30
  • @droooze can you please give some examples? I think it's good that it shows how a word changes over time from ancient times? – sylvia Nov 15 at 4:30
  • @droooze thanks for the link. I still think it provides a good source for beginners. Honestly, as historical thing, who knows which one is true? Sometimes to help a beginner learn, it doesn't need to be exact. Maybe you can give another dictionary if you know one more reliable? – sylvia Nov 15 at 17:48
  • who knows which one is true? Well, we know the correct way to do things, and we definitely know things that are false. Vividict is no good, try humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-mf – droooze Nov 15 at 18:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.